I love any project that helps lighten my scrap fabric box. So this DIY scrap fabric garland made me especially happy! I made it as a decoration for my little one’s recent birthday but it also makes wonderful nursery decor. After the party was over I hung it above her dresser & now it is adding a fun splash of color to her previously blank wall. I was inspired by this garland, but I changed up the length & density of fabric a bit. I made my own scrap fabric garland tutorial below if you want to make your own like mine.
Scrap Fabric Garland Tutorial
- Measure a length of sturdy ribbon.
- Tie loops on each end of the ribbon.
- Cut your fabric into 3″ strips of varying lengths between 14″ & 18″.
- Fold your fabric strips in half (so they are now 3″ x 9″).
- Cut your fringe on each fabric strip by cutting from the bottom (where the fabric is open) & stopping an inch or two from the top (where the fabric is folded)
- Place your fabric behind the ribbon you cut earlier. Make a loop with the top of your fabric strip and pull the two fringe sides through it keeping your ribbon in the middle.
- Repeat until you have a long, awesome fabric garland.
I tried both having my ribbon on the ground and hanging up while I tied on the fabric. Having it hanging was easier while I worked so you might want to start that way too. I hope you have fun making some adorable decor using my scrap fabric garland tutorial! If you have any questions leave a comment or a link to your own scrap fabric garland if you make one.